It seemed like my zinnia bed had a chance of beating Mike’s dahlias. But preseason performances can be deceiving. Take the Bears for example. They looked pretty poor this week, but we Chicagoans know they are going to the Superbowl.
The big question at our house this preseason was whose garden was going to the Superbowl of September? After all, Mike’s dahlias were short and rather weak, and not even blooming when we expected. The heat this year was excessive, and his key player, water, was on the no-show list. Plus Mike likes to experiment with his team, as in lets go ‘au naturale’, skipping most of the fertilizing this year. For a while, it looked like we were going to have to rely on my zinnia bed for massive color.
After all, pink is pink, right?
The dahlia garden getting better now as it hits its prime. I, of course, didn’t take a picture of the parts that are still suffering from the heat stroke. I’m going to show you what looks good. If you want to see what doesn’t look good, you are going to have to show up in my yard. Details on that in just a bit.
It has become evident that Mike’s dahlias were going to put up a fight. Some of the new players he acquired this year are serious competitors. Take Drummer Boy, for example…
Alright already, I admit defeat. The dahlias win, and rightly so.
If you’d like to see dahlias for real, you’ve got options:
- Mike and his Dahlias will be at the Elk Grove Library today, September 15th, from 10 AM – 3PM.
- You can hear Mike talk about Dahlias at the Elk Grove Library on the 18th. He’ll be presenting for the 7 PM meeting of the garden club. Where Mike and I go, dahlias are bound to go as well, so we’ll bring some.
- You can go to the Chicago Botanic Gardens on September 22nd & 23rd for the CSDS Annual Show.
- You can even visit our garden on September 25th from 5 PM – dark. We live at 331 Forest View in Elk Grove Village. The rain date is September 26th.
- One more chance – Mike will be at the Chicago Botanic Gardens on October 2nd for the 7 PM meeting of the North Shore Gardeners. Yes, I’ll come too and bring the flowers.
Congratulations on the victory. Well deserved.
And oh yes…Go Bears!
Do you want to know what else is blooming in the September garden? To see what other bloggers have blooming on the 15th of every month, visit May Dreams Gardens – Bloom Day for our Garden Bloggers’ Bloom day entries.